This Garlic Dipping Sauce | Mojito is the recommended garlic dipping sauce to serve with tostones (twice fried green plantains) or aranita (shredded green plantain fritters). You can make the Mojito in advance, up to about 3 days, and keep it in the refrigerator. Bring it to room temperature about an hour before serving.
1 cup olive oil, warmed
1 whole head of garlic peeled, crushed and finely chopped
1 small onion, finely diced
3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste
Let’s make this happen…
- Blend all the ingredients together in a nonreactive bowl. (A nonreactive bowl is one made of material that does not react chemically to the citrus acids.)
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until a thermometer reads 200°. Carefully add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic; remove from heat.
- Transfer mixture to a medium mixing bowl.
- Cool for about 20 minutes.
- When room temperature, add zest and juice of limes and lemon.
- Mix until well combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until serving.
Tip: Use a blender or food processor to mix the ingredients.
Enjoy Chef EdieM