We all need to say farewell to the fresh flavors of Summer, the warm sand at the beaches and free movies in the park. But don’t let summer slip away without a proper send-off. The calendar tells us that the seasons change in mid-September, but we all know that the unofficial end to summer is Labor Day. So before the routines and formality of autumn set in, let’s enjoy one last summer party to say farewell to summer. Let’s all savor and stay out late to enjoy the final strains of summer’s nightly serenades, walks at the beach, BBQ at the parks and staying at home with good food, good spirits and great company!
Edie’s Orzo Clam & Shrimp Soup
Lets make this happen…
3 Doz Little necks
2 Lb Chopped clams
2 Lbs Jumbo cleaned|deveined shrimp
½ Cup Clam juice
½ Cup Lemon juice
3 Cups Water
1 Lbs Butter
1¾ Cups Chicken stock
1 Cups White cooking wine
½ Cup Orzo
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Tbsp Flour
5 Cloves Garlic
Salt and pepper
1. In large soup kettle melt butter and add in olive oil.
2. Add garlic (chopped); cook gently 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Blend in flour, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Let the flour absorb the oil.
4. Add all liquids bring to a boil; stirring constantly. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
5. Add Orzo noodles, stirring occasionally cook for 5 minutes; shut off and let it stand for 5 minutes.
6. Wash and peel shrimp; clean and brush the little necks; rinse out fresh chopped clams.
7. Turn on soup to a medium heat and add the rest of the seafood. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover, reduce low and simmer 5 minutes.
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish with dill, if desired, and serve hot.
VARIATION: Add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or cilantro just before serving.
Can be served as a starter with French bread and a glass of wine!